The Dos Equis Guy has some major competition–he may not have an epic white beard or a beer in hand, but Neil Gaiman rocks this commencement address like no other.
It’d be impossible to do his speech justice in just a few sentences, so I’ll summarize by listing what I found to be the most impactful ideas:
1. Push the boundaries. Discover how far you can take your passions. Don’t let rules and standards hold you back from your full and true potential.
2. “Most of us only find our own voices after we’d copied a lot of other people.” Don’t get discouraged, no one can find themselves overnight.
3. Enjoy life and the moments the come along with it. Your successes, your new experiences, your triumphs. Don’t waste your time worrying about the future, because the future will bring enough worries when it gets to you.
4. “Make interesting mistakes. Make amazing mistakes. Make glorious and fantastic mistakes. Break Rules. Make the world more interesting for your being here. Make. Good. Art.”
5. “Be wise. Because the world needs more wisdom. And if you cannot be wise, pretend to be someone who is wise and then just behave like they would.”