On March 11, 2020, the World Health Organization officially declared the outbreak of COVID-19 a pandemic. Since then, we’ve had a year of unprecedented hardship, separation from loved ones — and countless examples of strength and resilience!
To mark the one-year anniversary of this collective global experience, we’re sharing our favorite stories of people overcoming difficulties and loving each other through adversity. The novel coronavirus isn’t something to celebrate, but the goodness shown around the world certainty is!
1. This cutie survived a rare disease and COVID-19 just in time to celebrate his first birthday!
2. Testing positive for COVID-19 didn’t stop this bride from tying the knot. All she had to do was channel her inner Rapunzel!
3. A mom and her two kids got a big dose of Canadian kindness on their way to Alaska.
After the family got stranded in Canada, strangers stepped up to help them out, including a man who drove them 1,000 miles to their destination!
4. When the family of one of her students contracted COVID-19, this teacher cared for their newborn while they recovered.
5. A couple made it their mission to donate plasma as often as possible after recovering from COVID-19.
The antibodies found in their plasma have saved the lives of more than 68 COVID patients!
6. This principal’s hilarious COVID-19 parody of MC Hammer’s “Can’t Touch This” brought much-needed laughter to millions.
7. A bus driver took a detour to help a lost passenger make it in time to visit her mom at a nursing home.
8. This teen’s prom was canceled, so she wore her dress out in Washington, D.C., instead — and went viral for looking like a supermodel!
9. These lovebirds finally reunited after having to spend 215 days apart. Grab the tissues for this one!
10. A hospital security guard kept exhausted first responders smiling every day by cheering each of them on as they finished their shifts.
11. This teacher spent hours sewing see-through masks so students with hearing impairments could still read lips.
12. COVID-19 concerns kept this father and son apart during the latter’s cancer treatments, so Dad cheered him up from the parking lot with music and funky moves!
13. This 11-year-old set out on a mission to sew 1,200 masks to protect her homeless neighbors in Atlanta.
14. COVID-19 brought two long-lost sisters back together after 53 years!
15. A graduating student’s solo performance of the national anthem turned into a moving duet when a passing stranger joined in.
16. One Amazon driver’s special delivery made a cancer patient’s day.
17. A service dog received a hero’s send-off after spending months comforting an entire hospital.
18. Care home residents in England fought boredom with rock ‘n’ roll and had a blast recreating classic album covers!
19. The inventor of N95 masks came out of retirement to solve the face mask shortage with a method allowing people to reuse their masks without ruining the filtration.
20. Two health care workers spread joy throughout their hospital with a beautiful performance of “Ain’t No Mountain High Enough.”
Way to thrive in the face of a global crisis! These stories are all such beautiful reminders of the human spirit.
Share these precious moments to spread cheer to someone who needs it today.
Want more good news?
Sign up for Smile, our free daily good news email with over 600,000 happy and optimistic subscribers!
You share, we give! Every time you share an article, we donate to Smile Train to provide life-changing cleft surgeries to children in need.
$13.14 raised today! Learn more here.
Share to Give!
Every time you share an article, we donate to Smile Train to help provide life-changing cleft surgeries to children in need. Spread good news, change lives! Learn more here.
$13.14 raised today!
Want to be happier in just 5 minutes a day? Sign up for Morning Smile and join over 455,000+ people who start each day with good news.