Wild birds are a true joy for the countless people who enjoy watching them.
A woman named Lisa, who goes by Ostdrossel online, has found a way to capture these majestic animals in vivid detail using a bird feeder camera she designed herself. After she moved from Germany to rural Michigan in 2012, she was thrilled to discover a vibrant community of birds living in her backyard — and knew she had to capture their beauty!
“There was so much color and diversity, different from what I was used to in city life,” she explained. “I wanted to share them with my family in Germany and so I started feeding birds and taking photos.”
After a few years, her hobby became a true passion, so she set up an action camera in a weatherproof box to capture stunning close-ups. These 30 are our favorites!
the #1 good news email read by 500K+ people.
1. “I enjoy seeing the beauty of the bird anatomy, the delicate patterns, the feathers, the colors, and of course their antics,” she said.
View this post on Instagram
2. A curious male Northern Cardinal.
3. A Common Grackle giving his scariest look.
4. This Mourning Dove looking chonky.
5. A Blue Jay during molting season. Don’t worry, the feathers grow back!
6. An American Goldfinch grabbing a quick snack.
7. Two Eastern Bluebirds having a chat.
8. “The creative process mainly consists of choosing the best photo out of thousands that my system takes each day and then editing it a bit.” Like she did with these House Finches!
9. A nosy Blue Jay.
10. An adorable Tufted Titmouse.
11. Hello, Mr. Chickadee!
12. This European Starling woke up on the wrong side of the nest!
13. A gorgeous Red-bellied Woodpecker.
14. This Dove took a nap right in the feeder!
15. A European Starling with something to squawk about.
16. An American Goldfinch spreading its wings.
17. A European Starling showing off his intricate plumage.
18. “The reward is being able to share it with the world and seeing how others enjoy it.” As is the case with this American Robin!
19. This extra-adorable Eastern Bluebird.
20. A Northern Cardinal enjoying a nice day.
21. Blue Jays are stunning creatures.
22. Two House Finches sharing a meal.
23. A Downy Woodpecker.
24. A vivid Ruby-throated Hummingbird.
25. A colorful Baltimore Oriole.
26. A Purple Finch chilling out.
27. A relaxed Palm Warbler.
28. This fluffy baby Bluebird.
29. Hey wait, that’s not a bird!
30. A stunning Baltimore Oriole.
What a gorgeous display of nature at its finest! Lisa loves seeing these birds and all her other visitors, and so do we. There’s so much beauty in the world when we take a moment to look for it.
Share this story with a bird lover who needs to “meet” Ostdrossel.
Want to be happier in just 5 minutes a day? Sign up for Morning Smile and join over 455,000+ people who start each day with good news.