We’ve all daydreamed about winning big, haven’t we?
VIDEOS BY INSPIRE MORE
Whether it’s hitting the lottery or simply winning a radio contest for a pair of concert tickets, there’s something special about receiving something you didn’t have to work for. On Reddit, people are sharing how they won a year or lifetime supply of goods or services, and how it all panned out in the long run. It turns out that the results of a “big win” aren’t always what they’re cracked up to be.
1. “I was one of the first 100 customers to a Denny’s restaurant a few years ago and won a year’s worth of Grand Slams,” said one Redditor. “The restaurant was a block from my house and on my way to school so often I’d just pick it up to go and bring it to class. It was awesome.”
2. “I won free toilet paper for a family for life, which is 62 rolls a month,” said another, who added, “I give them to a homeless shelter.”
3. “One of my friends won $5,000 a week for life in the NY Lottery a few years back,” one person shared. “It’s actually only for 40 years, but that’s plenty of time to save for retirement and live a long happy life.”
“He’s doing well because he isn’t acting like a lotto winner, it’s as if it was the social security he was receiving previously (he’s disabled),” they added. “He still has his friends, too. It pretty much went as best as possible.”
4. “I won a year of free Uber (the on-demand car service, for those unaware) for pretty much all of 2014,” this user added. “I used it A LOT. To and from work, the airport, in many different cities, took my friends out to the bars, to the beach, anywhere. Met a lot of interesting drivers. Paid taxes on it this year because it counted as income, but it was definitely worth it.”
5. “I once won a ‘year’s supply’ of Pepsi from a local radio station,” wrote one user. “The contest was finding specific serial numbers on a dollar bill and being the first to call into the station. The ‘year’s supply’ was a case.”
6. “Yeah, I won a year’s supply of Kraft mac and cheese at Wrigley Field several years back,” this person stated. “It was literally 365 boxes of mac and cheese delivered to my house several weeks later. We kept 50 boxes and gave the other 315 to our local soup kitchen. Who in the world eats 365 boxes of mac and cheese a year?”
7. “I won a year supply of heart worm medication for my cats,” said a lucky cat owner. “It was from a scratch off at the vet.”
8. “I once won a year of free groceries,” this person added. “They gave me 52 $100 dollar gift cards to use anyway I wanted. I was single and ate and drank like a king that year. Nobody went hungry when I was around.”
9. “I entered a radio competition in the 90’s for free music every month for a year,” this person shared. “I didn’t win that but I won the consolation prize which was a copy of Alanis Morissette’s ‘Jagged Little Pill.’ We already had a copy of Alanis Morissette’s ‘Jagged Little Pill.'”
“A rep from the station told me they would mail it out on the 15th, well it arrived but never stopped arriving on the 15th of EVERY month, a copy of Alanis Morissette’s ‘Jagged Little Pill’ would show up in the mail,” they continued. “This happened till we had about 6 copies of Alanis Morissette’s ‘Jagged little Pill.’ I called and asked the radio station if they could send something else besides Alanis Morissette’s ‘Jagged Little Pill,’ but they did not, they just corrected their error.
Later that year, my sister got a birthday present from one of her friends. When she opened it, it was a copy of Alanis Morissette’s ‘Jagged Little Pill.'”
10. “I won a year of free ribs from Famous Dave’s,” said one person, who then admitted, “Never thought I could get sick of ribs.”
11. “Eighteen years ago we won a lifetime of vet visits for my cat,” this person contributed. “They expected to give it to someone with an old pet, not a new kitten. The cat’s still alive. The Vet Clinic has moved and rebranded 4 or 5 times, but they’re still honouring the award.”
12. “I had a friend in college who won a lifetime supply of Gillette razors,” said this Redditor. “They just sent him a crate of Mach 3 razors and refill cartridges and that was that. It was just a one time shipment but it would be hard to get through that many razors in one lifetime.”
13. “As a consolation prize for losing on a tv game show I was given a popcorn popper, a little girl’s bicycle and a lifetime supply of Dinty Moore Beef Stew,” someone posted.
“I gave the popcorn popper as a Christmas present and sold the bicycle. When the beef stew arrived it was one case of 12 cans. After trying the first can I realized that the other 11 would indeed last me a lifetime.”
14. “My Uncle gets free Ben & Jerry’s for life,” someone added. “He’s been friends with the actual Ben and Jerry since before they opened the first shop.”
“He has a card that says free ice cream for life and he can get pints or cones at any scoop shop (at least locally). He also gets decks of free pint coupons that he can use at grocery stores and gas stations. When Unilever bought them out they tired to buy back all the ‘Free Ice Cream for life cards.’ I guess it was a fairly generous offer because my uncle is one of only a few that chose to keep the card.”
15. “I won the Cash 4 Life $1,000 a week lottery about 10 years ago,” wrote this lucky person. “Every year I send them proof i’m still alive, and they send me a check for $52,000 in the mail.”
Seems like it’s time for us to start entering contests and playing the lottery! What a lucky bunch of people. It’s especially nice that those who got too much thought to donate to others in need. Share the wealth!
Speaking of sharing… please share this story to inspire hope in others.
Want to be happier in just 5 minutes a day? Sign up for Morning Smile and join over 455,000+ people who start each day with good news.