There is nothing like the Olympic Games! No other competition, tradition, or global unifier can hold a torch to the history and camaraderie of these events. That’s why every four years, billions of people across the globe tune in to watch triumphant and jaw-dropping feats of athleticism, teamwork, and integrity that we will remember for centuries to come.
Even among these endless displays of agility, there are always a few that rise above the rest! These moments cause such an explosion of celebration and victory that no one could ever forget them. So in honor of the upcoming Tokyo Olympic Games, we decided to take a look at Summer Olympic history and share the top moments of the decade!
1. London 2012 — Misty May-Treanor and Kerri Walsh Jennings scored a golden three-peat.
2. London 2012 — David Rudisha broke his own world record in the 800 meter final.
the #1 good news email read by 825K+ people.
3. London 2012 — David Boudia’s near-perfect final dive claimed him the 10-meter platform gold.
4. Rio 2016 — Usain Bolt completed his stunning Olympic career with a “triple-triple.”
5. London 2012 — The U.S. was catapulted back on top with the gymnastics Fierce Five: Gabby Douglas, McKayla Maroney, Aly Raisman, Kyla Ross, and Jordyn Wieber.
6. Rio 2016 — Swimmer Katie Ledecky set her second world record and scored a whopping four gold medals in one year.
7. Rio 2016 — Wayde van Niekerk broke Michael Johnson’s 17-year-old 400 meter world record.
8. Rio 2016 — Neymar scored in a decisive soccer shootout, earning Brazil its first Olympic soccer title.
9. Rio 2016 — Simone Biles and Aly Raisman went 1-2 in the gymnastics all-around final.
10. London 2012 — Michael Phelps broke a 2,000-year-old Olympic record with 13 individual gold medals (and 22 total golds).
We can never get enough of these epic victories! It won’t be long before the Tokyo Games begin, and we’re in for even more surprises.
Relive these unforgettable moments in the video below, and share them with a friend.
Want to be happier in just 5 minutes a day? Sign up for Morning Smile and join over 455,000+ people who start each day with good news.