There’s no denying it; when a living environment is clean and tidy, it’s a more restful and pleasant place to be.
There have been countless studies proving that a messy house has a direct, negative impact on mental health. In fact, an unclean home can be a sign of serious depression and anxiety. In contrast, a clean and tidy place can have a positive impact on people’s lives.
While it can be hard to start tidying up a very, very messy place — it is possible! Whether you are struggling with depression and anxiety, or simply haven’t made the time to clean for any other reason, the following 15 pictures will inspire you to clean that room that you’ve been dying to organize for the last 10 months.
1. Many people find that taking control of their environment gives them a sense of empowerment. They’re literally taking their lives back from depression!
2. Cleaning can also improve a person’s mood, and the repetitive actions are soothing and calming to the brain.
3. Wow, what a difference!
4. Just the simple act of taking out the trash and making the bed can provide an instant mood boost.
5. Often, people don’t realize how bad things have gotten until they get help for their mental illness — and that’s okay.
6. There are also physical benefits to cleaning. Just moving your body reduces stress and anxiety.
7. This is your sign to clean and organize your garage!
8. After all, the more we move our bodies, the better we feel!
9. After a long day at work, no one wants to come home to a messy house.
10. People might also feel embarrassed by their cluttered and dirty homes, causing them to withdraw from friends and family.
11. All that clutter also means you can’t access the things that make you happy, like this tidied-up crafting desk.
12. There’s nothing quite as satisfying as taking control of something that feels overwhelming.
13. Often, doing a major clean up shows people are getting back on a healthier path in life!
14. If you’re feeling overwhelmed by your cluttered and dirty living space, checking in with a physician about the underlying cause is a good idea.
15. Seeking help and support from friends, families, and understanding community groups can also help keep us motivated so things don’t get out of control again.
There are so many components to good health, and maintaining a clean and tidy living space is one of them! We’re so proud of all of the people who took control of their depression by reclaiming their homes. We all deserve a clean, restorative place to live.
Inspire others to tidy up by sharing this story.
Want more good news?
Sign up for Smile, our free daily good news email with over 600,000 happy and optimistic subscribers!
Share to Give!
Every time you share an article, we donate to Smile Train to help provide life-changing cleft surgeries to children in need. Spread good news, change lives! Learn more here.
$15.54 raised today!
Want to be happier in just 5 minutes a day? Sign up for Morning Smile and join over 455,000+ people who start each day with good news.