We’ve got a new favorite animal! They’re so cute, in fact, that we’ll bet you’ll become an instant fan, too.
They’re called Valais Blacknose sheep. The internet has taken notice of these incredibly adorable creatures thanks to a viral video on social media. It featured a sheep trotting joyfully towards a human friend who’s offering him a cookie and, when we say trotting, just know that we really mean hopping.
1. Here’s the video that started our obsession. We can’t handle this much cuteness!
2. Naturally, we had to know more about this breed of sheep and fast.
3. They originated in the Valais region of Switzerland.
4. Blacknose sheep are a rare breed that dates back to 1400 A.D.
5. They almost went extinct two to three times due to human breeding mistakes, but they prevailed!
6. Blacknose sheep weren’t officially recognized as a breed until 1962.
7. In 2014, the first Blacknose sheep were imported to Great Britain. The United States followed in 2016.
8. They’re large yet nimble and sure-footed, making them perfectly suited to mountainous environments.
9. Just from the looks of them, it should come as no surprise that their wool makes excellent fiber for carpets, felting, and other textiles.
10. Blacknose sheep are 100 percent domesticated. They actually enjoy human contact!
11. Today, many people in Upper Valais keep them as pets because they’re so easily tamed and, as you can see, oh-so adorable!
12. They have distinctive black markings on their nose, eyes, ears, knees, hocks, and feet.
13. People say they look just like stuffed toy animals, and we agree!
14. As if they weren’t precious enough, the breed is also known for their unique hopping stride and their love of treats.
15. And yes, they’re widely considered to be the cutest breed of sheep on the entire Earth!
We only have one question: Where can we get one? Also, how soon can we get one? We don’t want to go another minute without having one of these sweethearts in our lives!
Share this story to show your friends their new favorite sheep.
Want more animal stories?
Sign up for Stay Pawsitive, our free newsletter filled with all the cutest animal stories sent to you 2x per week!
You share, we give! Every time you share an article, we donate to Smile Train to provide life-changing cleft surgeries to children in need.
$14.70 raised today! Learn more here.
Share to Give!
Every time you share an article, we donate to Smile Train to help provide life-changing cleft surgeries to children in need. Spread good news, change lives! Learn more here.
$14.70 raised today!
Want to be happier in just 5 minutes a day? Sign up for Morning Smile and join over 455,000+ people who start each day with good news.