People around the world have suddenly found themselves with extra time because of COVID-19 concerns.
Although the J. Paul Getty Museum in Los Angeles, California, has temporarily closed its doors, it’s still working behind the scenes to ensure everyone can appreciate art. Inspired by a Dutch social media challenge called Tussen Kunst en Quarantaine (Between Art and Quarantine), the Getty issued a challenge of their own!
Their followers couldn’t wait to get creative with their favorite masterpieces, and they absolutely delivered! Check out some of our favorite attempts below.
1. The sleeping bag is great, but can we talk about how great the hat is?
the #1 good news email read by 500K+ people.
2. Excellent use of the window as a prop.
3. The resemblance is uncanny!
4. Did she even have to set this up, or did it happen naturally?
5. Made you yawn, didn’t he?
6. We’ve never seen a vacuum cleaner look quite this sophisticated.
7. It helps if you already look like the person in the painting.
8. Now that’s creative!
9. The disheveled look has always been popular.
10. Nailed it!
11. The original dress already looks like a comforter, so this was a snap.
12. Conceptual… we see what you did there.
13. The look on the dog’s face makes this a favorite.
14. Bonus points for the paper plate halo!
15. It’s weird, but we totally see it!
16. It’s like looking in a mirror.
17. Wait, which is the recreation?
18. The RCA dog got an upgrade.
19. This is what perfection looks like.
20. Guess they had a green apple (and a bowler hat) lying around.
21. A recreation even Michelangelo would appreciate.
22. A dog tries his hand at Rockwell’s “Triple Self-Portrait.”
23. We can practically feel the wind on our face.
24. Whistler called. He wants his mother back.
25. Not sure how they pulled this off, but we approve!
So much creativity! We love seeing people show off their appreciation for fine art while doing their part to flatten the curve.
Share these recreations to make an art lover smile, and check out the Coronavirus Good News Dashboard for more stories of joy and hope.
Share your story & inspire the world.
If you have an uplifting story we would love to hear about it! Share it with us here.
Want to be happier in just 5 minutes a day? Sign up for Morning Smile and join over 455,000+ people who start each day with good news.