It’s in times of emergency that we find out the stuff we’re made of. For Texans, it’s been that kind of week.
Recent weather turned into a Texas snowstorm emergency unlike anything they’ve seen in quite some time, bringing massive power outages, water shortages, and dangerous icy roads. But they have risen to the challenge and seized this as an opportunity to do good and spread love! Here are eight ways that Texans have been stepping up to help others during Winter Storms Shirley and Uri.
1. “Good Samaritan” Ryan Sivley rescued trapped drivers and offered them safe rides.
2. People organized a mass rescue of thousands of South Padre Island sea turtles.
the #1 good news email read by 500K+ people.
3. This woman offered up her home for warmth and a meal.
4. In true form, Mission, Texas, residents are providing free burgers and tacos to those in need of food and community.
5. SouthEast Texas Regional Advisory Council members Mikal Orr and Jackson Bartlett delivered urgent supplies to warming shelters.
6. Abilene Texas Guardsmen worked tirelessly to transport freezing citizens to warming shelters.
7. Rueben Flores was even gifted cash by random passerby.
8. If you or someone you know needs help, here’s a full list of Texas companies and organizations offering what they can, including meals, free firewood, and filtered water.
When times get tough, we need each other to make it through! Our thoughts are with everyone who is still affected by the storms!
Share this story to encourage others to spread love in their own community.
Want to be happier in just 5 minutes a day? Sign up for Morning Smile and join over 455,000+ people who start each day with good news.