In the eternal words of the Impressive Clergyman from the Princess Bride “Mawage, that bwessed awangment, that dweam wifin a dweam…” To some, marriage is that dream, the dream from childhood but for others it has led to bitter disappointment.
VIDEOS BY INSPIRE MORE
Today, we are here to talk about marriage from the perspective of those who have loved and lost.
We gathered 21 things, that if implemented, divorcees said could’ve saved their marriage. It’s a sad topic on the surface, but the wisdom in them is something we all need to apply to all our relationships, whether tied in the bonds of marriage or not. Many of them are simple reminders that love is in the little things.
1. Your marriage is not guaranteed to be as good as your vows. It depends on what you put into it each day.
2. The roots of your love need to run deep from the start. If the love is attraction or surface-based, the love will die.
3. Some parts of your marriage will be frustrating, but love enough to be patient to ride out the lows and receive the highs.
4. The grass is not always greener. Even if it looks more lush, you don’t know the quality of the soil.
5. It’s more than the ring. Can you imagine growing old or being sick with this person?
6. It’s best to cool off alone before throwing down harsh words in a fight.
7. Both of you need to take turns steering the wheel.
8. If your partner backs away and avoids talking, you may have to wait for them to come back around. Patiently.
9. Marriage is not always exciting. Finding the joy in the day-to-day will serve your marriage well.
10. A good marriage means getting your hands dirty. Participating each day. Not expecting perfection.
11. We are all under construction as works in progress. Accept your partner as long as he or she is working on it.
12. Intimacy is the one thing that separates your marriage from your other relationships. Nurture it.
13. A good marriage requires two people who are both still learning about life and each other.
14. Sometimes, marriage requires you to bend down and tie your partner’s shoes when he or she just can’t do it.
15. Expect there to be some serious storms in your marriage. You might question your love for your partner and feel alone at times.
16. But good marriages have two partners who work through tough times and see the light of a brand-new, better day.
Want to be happier in just 5 minutes a day? Sign up for Morning Smile and join over 455,000+ people who start each day with good news.