Over the weekend, the world lost a legend. On November 8, Alex Trebek passed away at 80 years old after battling pancreatic cancer for nearly two years.
The beloved game show host spent 36 years fostering a love of trivia in adults and children alike — and cracking millions up with his amazing sense of humor! So to celebrate his life, we’re sharing 20 of his best moments on “Jeopardy!”
1. When Trebek bravely shared his stage four cancer diagnosis with his audience in March 2019.
2. When, following the annoucement, Trebek lost his composure in response to contestant Dhruv Gaur’s answer: “We love you, Alex.”
the #1 good news email read by 455K+ people.
3. When Trebek became a rapper.
Alex Trebek was a whole rapper pic.twitter.com/0D1EcnPaAX— philip lewis (@Phil_Lewis_) November 8, 2020
4. When Trebek hilariously channeled Lizzo…
Alex Trebek singing Lizzo is actually exactly what we needed today pic.twitter.com/DdkbxcBegt— Rebecca Rubin (@rebeccaarubin) March 26, 2020
5. …Mötley Crüe…
6. …Megan Thee Stallion…
8. …and Charlie Puth!
My heart is heavy hearing of Alex Trebek’s passing. The soundtrack of my life was hearing his voice every night at 7pm. There will never be a host quite like him ever again. God bless him and his family. And may his legacy forever live on. (Insert final Jeopardy music here.) pic.twitter.com/Qz61Bkamet— Charlie Puth (@charlieputh) November 8, 2020
9. When Trebek created a football category complete with his own funny gestures and drawings.
10. When all the contestants gave the same wrong answer, ending in a three-way tie.
“Hey folks, easy come, easy go,” Trebek said.
11. The most iconic question in “Jeopardy!” history:
I couldn’t believe that if I ever got to be on jeopardy I could literally make Alex Trebek say whatever I wanted during Final Jeopardy. Rest In Peace to one of the coolest, lowkey funniest people ever and truly a favorite person of mine. No longer in pain 😔 pic.twitter.com/TJw3mziV22— steph (@schnephanie) November 8, 2020
12. When Trebek’s sports trivia completely stumped all three contestants.
These guys know nothing about sports. 😂 But Alex Trebeck had a knack for getting guests to show their human side. By poking fun at them, their humility comes across as endearing.#AlexTrebek was so damn good at these human connections. And I’ll miss him. pic.twitter.com/r2RuuC8UbU— Vic Vela (@VicVela1) November 8, 2020
13. When two joke answers kicked off the “Jeopardy! comedy hour.”
14. When a question about a love triangle got hilariously awkward.
15. When Trebek used his platform to spread support for the Muscular Dystrophy Association.
From our archives, we share this memory of the indefatigable, graceful and legendary @Jeopardy host #AlexTrebek, who always supported our mission. We send our sincere condolences to his family, his friends and fans around the world, and especially from our #MDA family. pic.twitter.com/W5nRvq1hLl— MDA USA (@MDAorg) November 9, 2020
16. The progression of this handsome devil’s facial hair over the years.
17. When Trebek paid tribute to winner Cindy Stowell, who died of cancer before her episodes aired.
18. When a contestant tried sending Trebek to another dimension.
19. Trebek as Count Dracula.
20. When contestant Burt Thakur teared up recalling how he grew up watching “Jeopardy!” with his grandfather — and learned English in the process!
Alex’s impact is immeasurable. Thank you for sharing, Burt! pic.twitter.com/XgGGwJ8GlH— Jeopardy! (@Jeopardy) November 6, 2020
Rest in peace, Trebek! We’ll remember you fondly every time we hear the iconic “Jeopardy” countdown music, and your fans will never forget you!
Share this story to honor his legacy.
Want to be happier in just 5 minutes a day? Sign up for Morning Smile and join over 455,000+ people who start each day with good news.