As the saying goes, “the more things change, the more they stay the same.”
Humankind has come a long way since the dawn of recorded history. Once photography was invented in 1826, we finally had the ability to fully document life as we know it. The Twitter page Lost In History shares historical photos with their 514,000 followers in order to “throw light on our past.” It works — each picture is more illuminating than the last!
2. Artist Grant Wood asked his sister, Nan Wood Graham, and their dentist, Dr. Byron McKeeby, to pose for his famous “American Gothic” painting. Here they are standing next to the finished work.
3. Not to knock the efficacy of mom’s arm, but safety standards back in 1965 were a bit of an afterthought.
5. Serra Pelada gold mine in Brazil was one of the most dangerous mines in the world. In the 1980s, it was the work site for over 100,000 miners seeking their fortunes.
6. Pablo Picasso in his studio in Cannes, France in 1955.
7. People wave goodbye as the Titanic shoves off from the dock in 1912.
8. Some of the very first Disneyland employers grab lunch in the company cafeteria in 1961.
9. Just imagine the celebration on board this ship as soldiers returned home from WWII in 1945!
10. This man was using selfie sticks before it was cool! This is a self-activated camera shot taken in 1957.
11. This lady demonstrates how to use a spray-on sunbathing machine in 1949.
12. The Swedish warship Vasa is the best preserved 17th-century ship in the world.
13. These two women have been bestfriends since WWII.
14. Leonardo da Vinci designed this stunning marble staircase back in 1516. Timeless!
15. A peek inside the famous Orient Express, a long-distance passenger train service that began in 1883.
Isn’t it fascinating to get a glimpse into our past? Photography is such a powerful tool to document the world around us.
Share this amazing list with someone who loves history.
Want more good news?
Sign up for Smile, our free daily good news email with over 600,000 happy and optimistic subscribers!
You share, we give! Every time you share an article, we donate to Smile Train to provide life-changing cleft surgeries to children in need.
$21.18 raised today! Learn more here.
Share to Give!
Every time you share an article, we donate to Smile Train to help provide life-changing cleft surgeries to children in need. Spread good news, change lives! Learn more here.
$21.18 raised today!
Want to be happier in just 5 minutes a day? Sign up for Morning Smile and join over 455,000+ people who start each day with good news.