The Olympic Games in Tokyo, Japan, have been a little different this year, but even the ongoing pandemic couldn’t stop our most talented athletes from turning in incredible performances!
From setting new world records to bringing home gold medals for their countries for the very first time, here are a few of the best moments that have thrilled and inspired us.
1. Rayssa Leal of Brazil wins a silver medal in skateboarding!
Can you believe she’s only 13? What an accomplishment!
2. American Caeleb Dressel’s face the moment he learns he set a new Olympic record!
Caeleb’s performance in Tokyo was off the charts — literally! The 24-year-old competed in six different events and won five gold medals!
3. This moment of amazing sportsmanship.
During the men’s 800-meter semifinal race, Botswana’s Nijel Amos accidentally clipped the heel of USA’s Isaiah Jewett, who was in third place at the time. Both athletes tumbled to the ground, ending their dreams of competing at the Olympics this year.
Instead of being angry, Isaiah reached down and helped his opponent up in the ultimate display of sportsmanship!
4. Gymnast Suni Lee’s incredible backstory makes us love her even more.
5. Elaine Thompson-Herah of Jamaica makes history winning a “double-double” in track.
She brought home the gold in the 100-meter and 200-meter races — after doing the exact same thing in Rio in 2016!
And she has the Best. Reaction. Ever!
6. Anastasija Zolotic becomes the first American woman to win Olympic gold in taekwondo.
7. Hidilyn Diaz of the Philippines has been to four Olympic Games, but she has never won — until now!
She’s the first person from the Philippines to ever win a gold medal!
8. Competitors hug and exchange shirts after their badminton match.
Denmark’s Viktor Axelsen defeated China’s Chen Long, but their mutual respect was clear!
I LOVE THIS MOMENT! 👏👏🥰What a fabulous display of sportsmanship and camaraderie. This is what the #Olympics is all about. ❤️ #DEN’s Viktor Axelsen defeated #CHN’s Chen Long and they met after the game, greeted each other, hugged, and exchanged shirts. #Tokyo2020 #Badminton pic.twitter.com/ImpC6QhUz5— Chad Solstice (@shichiybot) August 2, 2021
9. Team USA’s Katie Ledecky wins the first-EVER women’s 1500-meter freestyle Olympic gold medal!
Teammate Erica Sullivan was right behind her, winning the silver!
10. Simone Biles prioritizes her mental health and still goes on to win bronze on the balance beam!
11. Italy’s Gianmarco Tamberi and Qatar’s Mutaz Essa Barshim steal everyone’s heart when they tie.
They could have held a jump-off to determine who won the gold in high jump, but they decided to share the win instead!
12. Sifan Hassan of the Netherlands falls early on in the 1500-meter race, but she gets back up and makes an epic comeback to win!
Look at her go. What a legend!
13. Athletes from other countries celebrate with South Africa’s Tatjana Schoenmaker when she sets a new world record.
14. Venezuela’s Yulimar Rojas sets a new world record and wins a gold medal.
15. Norway’s Karsten Warholm breaks his OWN world record to win gold in the men’s 400-meter hurdles, while Team USA’s Rai Benjamin wins the silver.
Denmark’s Viktor Axelsen breaks down after making his way to the badminton gold!
Fourteen-year-old diver Quan Hongchan leaves everyone speechless with two perfect 10s in a row!
All of these athletes should be commended for keeping their cool on the world stage. We can’t wait to see what amazing victories happen next!
Share this story to leave more people in awe.
Want to be happier in just 5 minutes a day? Sign up for Morning Smile and join over 455,000+ people who start each day with good news.