No matter what, Charlie Loverme knows he can count on his twin sister.
VIDEOS BY INSPIRE MORE
Last month, the 12-year-old had a near-death experience while choking on a piece of mozzarella cheese in the school cafeteria. In a surveillance video of the incident, Charlie gets up from his seat and puts his hand up to his neck to signal for help.
Unfortunately, none of his classmates seemed to know what to do in this situation. Some even ran away from him, unsure of what was going on. Luckily for Charlie, his twin sister Amelia was sitting at the table next to him. She immediately grabbed her brother around the waist and performed the Heimlich maneuver. As a result, he coughed up the food blocking his windpipe.
Speaking with local news station WBZ, Charlie revealed that he thought he was going to die in the cafeteria.
“It’s just scary and you just don’t know what’s going to happen next,” he said, adding to his twin, “I would just say thank you because I’m still here.”
Meanwhile, Amelia said that her incredible rescue was pure intuition.
“It was just instinct, I didn’t really know what to do, I just feel like I had to help him,” she explained.
The twins’ father, Jason Loverme, weighed in on the incident as well. Impressed by his daughter’s quick thinking, he said that others could learn a lesson from her actions.
“If you can help somebody and you can react regardless of if you’re nervous or not, you should,” he said.
Jason wasn’t the only one to praise Amelia for her heroism. First, the school committee at Leicester Middle School showed their appreciation. After that, local authorities are giving her an official award, as well!
Watch the video below to see how Amelia saved her twin brother’s life. Don’t forget to share with a friend!
You can find the source of this story’s featured image here.
Want to be happier in just 5 minutes a day? Sign up for Morning Smile and join over 455,000+ people who start each day with good news.