In 1963, Jeanne Robertson’s bubbly personality and great sense of humor earned her the title of Miss Congeniality when she competed in the Miss America pageant.
Towering over the other contestants at 6’2″, the former Miss North Carolina went on to become a sought-after public speaker and comedian. By the time she passed away at age 77 in 2021, she’d gained a huge online following as well thanks to her brand of clean, relatable humor. Listen to just a few moments of her charming material and you’ll quickly see why she was such a breath of fresh air in the world of comedy!
1. Jeanne considered herself a storyteller, not a comedian. Here’s her hilarious tale of going white river rafting with her church group.
2. Later in life, Jeanne’s performances on SiriusXM Satellite Radio’s comedy channels introduced her to a new generation of fans.
3. Her family-friendly comedy often centered around the differences between men and women, family squabbles, and everyday life.
4. She performed all around the country, even on stage at the Grand Ole Opry.
5. Jeanne always dressed nicely and never swore, like a proper beauty queen.
6. She often included jokes about her husband, Jerry Robertson, calling him “Left Brain” because of his orderly and analytical way of thinking.
7. All of her material came from her everyday interactions with others. She always managed to see the funny side of life.
8. She just wanted to make people laugh without being offensive, and she was so good at it!
9. “She felt like, if people would take themselves less seriously and the world around them less seriously, everything would be a lot better,” recalled her son, Bailey Bowline.
10. Her video, “Don’t Send a Man to the Grocery Store” has been viewed more than 16.6 million times on YouTube!
Some kinds of humor never go out of style, and Jeanne left an indelible mark on humanity with her sharp wit, keen observations, and good humor. She’ll be missed, but never forgotten!
Share this story to celebrate this wholesome comedian’s legacy.
Want more good news?
Sign up for Smile, our free daily good news email with over 600,000 happy and optimistic subscribers!
You share, we give! Every time you share an article, we donate to Smile Train to provide life-changing cleft surgeries to children in need.
$14.52 raised today! Learn more here.
Share to Give!
Every time you share an article, we donate to Smile Train to help provide life-changing cleft surgeries to children in need. Spread good news, change lives! Learn more here.
$14.52 raised today!
Want to be happier in just 5 minutes a day? Sign up for Morning Smile and join over 455,000+ people who start each day with good news.