In the Schaerbeek suburb of Brussels, Belgium, beauty lines the streets in the form of small yet striking paving stones.
A few months ago, residents marveled at a solitary mosaic that appeared in front of a neighbor’s house. They loved the decoration so much that they decided to adorn their homes in the same way! Since then, the community has transformed its sidewalks into a collage of creativity.
Check out 10 of Schaerbeek’s lovely street mosaics below and prepare to smile!
1. The collective project began with Belgian artist Ingrid Schreyers, who was the first to install a mosaic outside.
the #1 good news email read by 455K+ people.
2. When her neighbors spotted it, the idea spread like wildfire, even catching the attention of their local government!
3. From there, the municipality decided to join the fun, offering to install paving stones — for free!
4. Now all the residents have to do is create their own pattern or request a personalized design from local artists, get it approved, and drop it off at the town hall.
5. Many have already taken advantage of the service, from animal lovers who want to memorialize their pets…
6. …to people who enjoy soothing nature scenes.
7. Each design represents the individuality of community members.
8. More than 250 masterpieces are waiting to be admired in Brussels alone!
9. While each one is unique, together they symbolize unity!
10. And, of course, they bring smiles to everyone who walks by!
What a wonderful way for them to brighten their neighborhoods and spread joy throughout the city! If you ask us, these mosaics should appear on every street. Until then, you can check out more of these beauties on Instagram or on participating artist Whitney Orville’s website.
Share this gorgeous artwork to spread the idea to other communities. The world could always use more color and cheer!
Want to be happier in just 5 minutes a day? Sign up for Morning Smile and join over 455,000+ people who start each day with good news.