On January 26, 2020, the world lost a legend. NBA star Kobe Bryant was just 41 when he passed away in a helicopter crash that claimed the lives of eight others, including Bryant’s 13-year-old daughter.
In times like these, it’s especially important to come together and create safe places for grief. Here are just 15 of the countless tributes people around the world have made to honor Bryant’s life and legacy.
1. Pennsylvania fans set up a beautiful memorial site outside Bryant’s alma mater, Lower Merion High School.
2. New Yorkers altered the Bryant Park subway station sign to read “Kobe Bryant Park.”
3. The giant globe at the SM Mall of Asia in Pasay City, Philippines, illuminated the night sky with Bryant’s jersey number.
4. The Empire State Building glowed purple and gold the night of the accident.
5. The same colors shone from the exterior of Los Angeles City Hall.
6. A mural of Bryant and Gianna appeared on a public court in Taguig, Philippines.
7. Love for Bryant made its way to Orange County, where beachgoers drew a basketball in the sand.
8. A Los Angeles florist gave a beautiful gift to a mourning fan.
9. People remembered their hero through his own inspiring words.
10. Professional tennis player Novak Djokovic wore Bryant’s initials and number on his jacket at the Australian Open.
11. Dallas Mavericks owner Mark Cuban announced his team will be retiring Bryant’s number.
12. Dallas Mavericks players Seth Curry and Luka Doncic wore the crash victims’ names on their shoes during their January 27 game against Oklahoma City Thunder.
13. Bryant’s former teammate encouraged everyone to cherish their happy memories.
“For those Kobe fans that are out there, that are feeling like I feel right now, just try and think of all the joy that he brought you.”
Brian Shaw reacts to the reported passing of Kobe Bryant. pic.twitter.com/WjAwmIHQle
— NBA TV (@NBATV) January 26, 2020
14. Alicia Keys, Boyz II Men, and Lizzo dedicated their Grammy performances to Bryant and his family.
— The Hollywood Reporter (@THR) January 27, 2020
15. Public figures who knew and respected the athlete flooded Twitter with messages of love.
Rest in peace, Bryant. Our hearts go out to the families of everyone involved in this terrible accident. May they find comfort in the outpouring of support from around the world.
Share this story to honor Bryant and the other eight people whose lives were lost too soon.
Share your story & inspire the world.
If you have an uplifting story we would love to hear about it! Share it with us here.
Want to be happier in just 5 minutes a day? Sign up for Morning Smile and join over 455,000+ people who start each day with good news.