We’ve seen many people put their creativity to good use in quarantine, but this mother-daughter team is breathtaking.
Jan Riggins and Olivia, her 13-year-old daughter, have been brightening up sidewalks in their Fort Worth, Texas, neighborhood since March. Armed with chalk and their imaginations, they leave stunning drawings on the ground for anyone to find. These 15 masterpieces are our favorites!
1. When Olivia saw her mom’s first drawing of a koi fish, she “wanted in on the fun.”
2. Since then, the two of them have added something new every day, and each creation turns out more beautiful than the last.
the #1 good news email read by 500K+ people.
3. Chalk art isn’t new to them. Before the novel coronavirus pandemic, they loved participating in sidewalk art competitions.
4. These days, they’ve found using their art to spread joy is even more rewarding.
5. In April, they heard a little boy was crushed about not being able to have a birthday party, so they left him a surprise right outside his door!
6. The birthday boy wasn’t the only one whose spirits were lifted. The entire neighborhood looks forward to their projects!
7. What’s more, their detailed artwork has gone viral.
8. “Very surprised,” Jan said. “I think it’s fun to do, and I didn’t really think it was going to get this sort of attention.”
9. Even better than the online stardom is the quality time they’ve spent together!
10. “We started doing this because we enjoy sharing art with others, and it’s been an amazing bonding experience for the two of us,” Jan added.
11. While they were inspired by the COVID-19 quarantine, something tells us they won’t be stopping when it’s over.
12. In fact, we wouldn’t be surprised if this was the beginning of a neighborhood tradition.
13. After all, Jan said, “Neighbors are offering to buy us more pastels and offering up the use of their driveways.”
14. Who could blame them? Encountering these beauties on a daily walk would be such a treat!
15. And as you can see, the process is just as impressive as the finished product.
View this post on Instagram
What a gifted family! If only we were lucky enough to be their neighbors! If you loved these drawings, you can find more on Instagram.
Share these wonderful creations with your friends, and check out the Coronavirus Good News Dashboard for more stories of joy and hope.
Share your story & inspire the world.
If you have an uplifting story we would love to hear about it! Share it with us here.
Want to be happier in just 5 minutes a day? Sign up for Morning Smile and join over 455,000+ people who start each day with good news.