Communication is the key to maintaining good relationships, but did you know that having boundaries is just as important?
Many therapists, including New York Times best seller Nedra Glover Tawwab, believe that a leading cause of unhealthy relationships stems from a lack of asserting healthy boundaries. In addition to owning her own practice, Nedra uses her Instagram to share helpful tips for people working toward having healthier, happier relationships with the people in their lives. We’ve gathered some of her most helpful tips on setting boundaries for you to read below.
1. Don’t be afraid to speak up.
2. “Just as we have perimeters with others, we must have boundaries for ourselves. Boundaries are guidelines that keep us mentally and emotionally healthy and help us to feel safe.”
3. “You don’t have to like hearing people say no and you still need to allow people to say no. Boundaries are for you and others.”
4. It’s okay to change your boundaries.
5. You can’t control how other people react, but you can choose what to share.
6. “Practice responding to things instead of ignoring them. People will not stop until they are aware that you want something different with them”
7. “Being private is not the same as keeping secrets from people.”
8. “People have the right to be unavailable, and they have the right not to answer when they don’t want to talk.”
9. “Expectations are a healthy part of relationships.”
Healthy relationships take effort, but they’re more than worth it for the people we love. It can be difficult to take those first steps in setting boundaries, which is all the more reason why we appreciate people like Nedra for giving such helpful advice online for free.
Share this story to normalize and encourage setting healthy boundaries with the people in our lives.
Want to be happier in just 5 minutes a day? Sign up for Morning Smile and join over 455,000+ people who start each day with good news.