Not all cats are affected by it, but for those who are, catnip is like the elixir of life. The leaves, stems, and seeds contain nepetalactone, a chemical that can send our feline friends into a frenzied state, licking, chewing and rolling to the delight of cat lovers everywhere.
Like dolphins getting high off puffer fish toxins and squirrels getting drunk on fermented crab apples, the kitties below are in an altered state of consciousness, from aggressively playful to totally chill. If they had access to Instagram or Twitter, these photos would surely be somewhere in their feeds.
1. Looks like these cats partied a little too hard.
2. What’s that I smell over there? You holding out on me again?
3. Mine! It’s all mine!
4. Someone’s ready for a nice, long nap.
5. Another one out for the count.
6. Oh catnip, how I love thee.
7. Nah, I’ll just sleep out here in the fresh air. Need to clear my head.
8. Why thank you very much. Don’t mind if I do!
9. Total pothead.
10. No, no, you go ahead. I’ll just sit here for a while.
11. Bet this guy wishes he had a little more self control.
12. Harvest time?
13. Dude. Lay off the catnip. You look ridiculous.
14. Hey! I was trying to sleep it off!
15. Derrrrr …
16. No, I won’t share. And I’d appreciate it if you’d stop asking. Thank you.
17. I know you’re just itching to do it, but don’t you dare.
18. You’ll have to pry it out of my cold, dead paws.
19. What?! Move along. Nothing to see here.
20. Yeah, the dilated pupils. It’s a dead giveaway every time.
Share with your fellow cat lovers!
Want more animal stories?
Sign up for Stay Pawsitive, our free newsletter filled with all the cutest animal stories sent to you 2x per week!
Share to Give!
$15.12 raised today to provide life-changing cleft surgeries to children in need with Smile Train! Learn more here.
Share to Give!
Every time you share an article, we donate to Smile Train to help provide life-changing cleft surgeries to children in need. Spread good news, change lives! Learn more here.
$15.12 raised today!
Want to be happier in just 5 minutes a day? Sign up for Morning Smile and join over 455,000+ people who start each day with good news.