When what you’re seeing doesn’t match reality, you could be looking at an optical illusion.
If you’ve ever struggled to see the hidden image in a “magic eye” painting, you know just how much these tricks can mess with your head! Here are a few jaw-dropping examples that have us rubbing our eyes in disbelief.
1. The dots may look different, but they’re all the same color.
A new Munker illusion, which I call confetti. All the dots in the background are the same color (RGB 250, 219, 172) but are perceived as four different colors. The differences are subtle, though, and depend on the size of the image when it’s viewed. cc @AkiyoshiKitaoka pic.twitter.com/vT6x64LLTy— David Novick (@NovickProf) July 18, 2018
2. Rock those heels! We don’t judge.
At first i thought he was wearing the heels pic.twitter.com/GSqurm3AcE— Charles Joseph (@Boom_likean808) May 24, 2018
3. This “moving” image is completely still.
4. Artwork that ages before your very eyes.
5. This one took forever for us to understand! (Hint: the man’s shorts are two different colors.)
6. Which way is the ballerina spinning?
7. Artist Nikolaj Arndt creates incredible 3D street art that passersby can interact with.
8. This picture will fade away if you stare at it.
9. Probably one of the coolest tattoos ever done.
10. Makeup artist Mimi Choi is so talented, it’s scary. Like, really scary.
11. Behold! The shrinking and growing effect of the Ames Room.
12. Warning: Skip this one if you’re sensitive to movement, strobe lights, or have epilepsy. In case you’ve ever wondered what it’s like to hallucinate…
13. The San Siro optical illusion. Don’t let it fool you; those columns aren’t moving!
The San Siro optical illusion…The columns aren’t moving! pic.twitter.com/9JHj5k2Rht— FootballGifs (@FootbaIlGlFs) August 15, 2021
14. Everything is moving, yet nothing is moving.
“There’s no such thing as an optical illusion”— Impicabadala (@Impicabadala_) August 10, 2021
15. Both? We’re going with both.
Our minds have been blown. These images are truly confusing and remind us that things aren’t always as they seem!
Share this story to test your friends’ eyesight, too.
Want more good news?
Sign up for Smile, our free daily good news email with over 600,000 happy and optimistic subscribers!
Share to Give!
$11.46 raised today to provide life-changing cleft surgeries to children in need with Smile Train! Learn more here.
Share to Give!
Every time you share an article, we donate to Smile Train to help provide life-changing cleft surgeries to children in need. Spread good news, change lives! Learn more here.
$11.46 raised today!
Want to be happier in just 5 minutes a day? Sign up for Morning Smile and join over 455,000+ people who start each day with good news.