As a school teacher in New York City, Alyssa Cowit finds herself constantly amazed at the things that come out of her students’ mouths.
VIDEOS BY INSPIRE MORE
That’s why, with the help of a friend, she decided to create an Instagram account called “Live from Snack Time.” Here, she shares all sorts of quote-worthy content from her own kiddos as well as those from around the world. Keep scrolling to enjoy some of our favorites!
1. When Alyssa first started sharing the funny or interesting things her students would say, she had no intention of it garnering so much attention.
2. “I thought it would be funny to call it ‘Live from Snack Time’ because it sounds like live news,” she said. “It was just a Twitter and I followed some of my friends, and some of my teacher friends. I was like, ‘Oh they would like it,’ and I followed my mom.”
3. Fast forward seven years, and now Alyssa has over 670,000 followers on Instagram alone!
4. During that time, quite a few things have changed. For starters, Alyssa isn’t the only one running this gem of an account.
5. Her friend, Greg Dunbar, helps her out with things like graphics – when he isn’t helping out with “Live from Snack Time” he’s works in digital marketing for Walt Disney Studios!
6. Another change came when they decided their content shouldn’t come from Alyssa’s students alone.
7. Knowing that there are children all around the world just as witty and insightful, they created a website for people to submit their own quotes from the kiddos in their lives.
8. In no time “Live from Snack Time” was flooded with submissions! They tend to have a pretty steady stream, but things really picked up during the pandemic.
9. “In a time of so much uncertainty and sadness and fear I think people looked to us for light humor and relatable content,” Alyssa said.
10. The submissions they received during this time proved to Alyssa and Greg what they already knew: Kids are much more intelligent and have much more in common than we think they do.
11. “With submissions from 6 continents (c’mon Antarctica!), we have living proof that kids are talking about the same topics and have similar questions around the world,” Alyssa said. “Especially when it comes to the pandemic.”
12. She added, “…We are all more similar than people realize, and the mission, brand, and content are universal and dynamic.”
13. If you’ve ever been around a child for more than five minutes, you understand just how talkative and inquisitive they are.
14. This can sometimes be frustrating for us adults, but Alyssa hopes her account serves as a reminder that they mean well.
15. “Alyssa believes children are honest and curious, and while often perplexed, they’re brilliant – and that it’s a teacher’s job to take what children say seriously,” their website says. “Alyssa wants to help adults understand that children are not always acting outrageous to seek attention, but instead thinking out loud, soaking up new information, and solving problems 24/7!”
The things kids say can be shocking sometimes, but we have to admire them for their pure honesty and unparalleled comedic skills. In fact, us adults could learn a thing or two from them when it comes to speaking our minds… well, at least a little, anyway!
Don’t forget to share this list of iconic quotes with a friend.
Want to be happier in just 5 minutes a day? Sign up for Morning Smile and join over 455,000+ people who start each day with good news.