Julie Andrews is an iconic figure. If you’re in an older generation, you might remember her from “The Sound of Music,” or countless Disney films such as “Mary Poppins” and “Eloise at Christmastime.” Younger folks may recognize her from “The Princess Diaries” series, or her voice as the narrator for “Enchanted.” Disney was not Julie Andrews’ only claim to fame though. Dame Julie sang and danced through life in front of an audience since the 1940s.
VIDEOS BY INSPIRE MORE
Graced with a beautiful voice, the actor/singer was once able to sing in four octaves! Julie was quoted, “I was a child prodigy who had a freak voice of something like four octaves.” The star has appeared in at least 46 movies over the years and continues doing voice work on animated movies, including the “Shrek” series. But even if you have never seen her dance or heard her magical voice, you might gain insight from hearing some of her most inspiring quotes. Julie Andrews is truly a phenomenal human who serves as an excellent example of how to live life to the fullest!
1. “Leave every place you go, everything you touch, a little better for your having been there.”
No matter where you are or what you are doing, leave a positive impact. Treat people with respect. Don’t litter. There are many messages that can be interpreted from this one simple quote.
2. “Use your knowledge, and your heart, to stand up for those who can’t stand. Speak for those who can’t speak. Be a beacon of light for those whose lives have become dark.”
There is always an underdog. Whether someone is suffering from bullying, societal injustice, or simply a curmudgeonly neighbor, don’t allow them to stand alone. As a society, Julie Andrews knows we are all stronger when we lock our arms and stand together!
3. “Be a part of all that is decent and be an ambassador for the kind of world that you want to live in.”
If you want a nice neighborhood, be a nice neighbor.
4. “You can’t bring the arts too soon to kids.”
The arts can include music, theater, painting, or just scribbling in a coloring book with an orange crayon. Children learn better when exposed to the arts. Julie Andrews has written several books for children under the name Julie Andrews Edwards. She is an advocate for the enrichment of children on many fronts.
5. “All careers go up and down like friendships, like marriages, like anything else, and you can’t bat a thousand all the time.”
If you hit a rough patch, just keep going. Most major league batters average between 200 and 350, which is nowhere near 1,000, but they keep grabbing their bat and heading to the plate when it’s their turn at bat. Treat everything in life the same. Just keep trying.
6. “If you remain calm in the midst of great chaos, it is the surest guarantee that it will eventually subside.”
When the world seems to be crashing on your head, remaining calm can be challenging. But, like the hurricane or tornado that wanders across the landscape, chaos will eventually move along too. Whatever is happening in your life, try to remain calm. It will pass.
7. “Perseverance is failing 19 times and succeeding the 20th.”
This quote applies whether you are job hunting, house hunting, or simply looking for your favorite type of cookies at the grocery store. We will all experience failure in life. The mark of perseverance is trying again. Eventually, you will succeed!
8. “I would be a fool to deny my own abilities.”
While being humble is an honorable trait, it shouldn’t be your mainstay. When you are good at something, let the world know!
9. “I’d like to be an original, to be myself and not a pale copy of anyone else.”
Individuality is what makes each person unique in this world. Be yourself, always.
10. “I play with my grandchildren. I tend to my garden, which I love. Of course, I love to read, and family is really what it’s all about.”
This last quote tells us to slow down and appreciate the important things in life. For Julie Andrews, that is her family, garden, and reading. For some people, it might be boating, a quiet walk in nature, or popcorn and a good movie. Whatever is important in your life, slow down enough to enjoy it.
With hundreds of Julie Andrews quotes to choose from, it was difficult to narrow down our selections. We hope you have enjoyed our choices. Dame Julie has made a mark on the world and left a legacy that includes so much happiness. As you watch an old movie, sing a song, or even take your medicine with a “spoonful of sugar,” remember to enjoy life above all else!
Want to be happier in just 5 minutes a day? Sign up for Morning Smile and join over 455,000+ people who start each day with good news.