Underneath the town of Wieliczka, Poland, is an incredibly unique piece of history.
The Wieliczka Salt Mine is full of breathtaking sights, from saline lakes to gorgeous chandeliers. Every year, millions flock to behold thousands of chambers in the “underground city.” Now, you can join them from home because we’re sharing 15 of the most magical images inside!
1. Welcome to the Wieliczka Salt Mine, where the rooms are carved out of salt.
the #1 good news email read by 455K+ people.
2. As one visitor put it, “It’s like something straight out of the imagination of JRR Tolkien.”
3. In the 13th century, it was the largest source of salt in Poland.
4. Today, it’s one of the country’s biggest tourist destinations.
5. It’s even among the UNESCO World Heritage Sites — for good reason!
6. According to its website, “The mine is so huge that you can visit only 2 percent of the salt labyrinth.”
7. In fact, it’s over 178 miles long!
8. The main area sits more than 1,000 feet below the surface.
9. Visitors can take one of two tours. The tourist’s route takes you to the underground lakes and chambers…
10. While the miner’s route introduces visitors to tasks like finding salt and testing the methane concentration.
11. Either choice offers many treats to the eye!
12. Some of the excavated areas have been turned into storehouses and chapels.
13. Others feature statues carved into the rock salt.
14. There are over 2,000 chambers in the mine, but no two look the same.
15. About 400 miners work there every day to maintain the site and carve out new attractions, and they only get more beautiful!
This mine is absolutely incredible! We would love to visit one day, but for now, we’ll settle for gazing upon these wonders from afar.
Spread the magic by sharing these stunning images today!
Want to be happier in just 5 minutes a day? Sign up for Morning Smile and join over 455,000+ people who start each day with good news.