We can’t think of many things that are more cheerful than a quaint Scottish village decked out with thousands of twinkling Christmas lights.
VIDEOS BY INSPIRE MORE
Newburgh is a small town in Fife that holds an annual light competition in their local grammar schools. Children are asked to draw a Christmas-themed picture, and the winning design is turned into a light display for the whole town to enjoy!
1. The tradition began in 2002. Here’s the design from that year’s winner, Callum Duff.
3. “But then the competition to design a light started, and each year, one of the lights was taken down and replaced by a light designed by one of the children,” she continued.
4. “When you have a light, it is always there, so there are teenagers who still have their light there.”
5. Every year, the town holds a big “switch-on” day so everyone can gather and admire the lights.
6. “It is a big moment for the community when they are switched on,” Poppy said.
7. In 2020, their kids weren’t in school due to the novel coronavirus pandemic, so they couldn’t hold the competition.
8. But on November 14, the lights were switched on anyway!
9. Designs range from traditional Christmas images like Santa and reindeer to more unusual creations like a turkey and a penguin.
10. “They are quite famous in our local area and I’ve never seen any other towns that do this,” Poppy added.
11. Her tweet about the event went viral, and it’s easy to see why!
12. Newburgh Action Group organizes the event. They’re asking for donations since they couldn’t fundraise in the midst of the pandemic.
13. The village says all are welcome to come enjoy next year’s display!
14. “The lights have always brought a brightness to the town over the dark midwinter nights, whilst also bringing its usual sparkle to the town,” the group wrote on GoFundMe.
15. How could you be sad looking at lights like these?
What an adorable idea! While it’s sad that the town couldn’t hold their competition this year, they’ll feature another cute drawing from a local lad or lass next Christmas.
Share this story to light up someone’s day.
Want to be happier in just 5 minutes a day? Sign up for Morning Smile and join over 455,000+ people who start each day with good news.