According to TIME magazine, one in three older Americans are lonely – and that number is on the rise. Here are a few comparisons to bring the reality closer to home.
- Loneliness increases the likelihood of mortality by 26 percent.
- Lacking social connections is as damaging to health as smoking 15 cigarettes a day.
- Coronary bypass patients who report feeling lonely have a mortality rate 5 times higher than other patients 30 days post-surgery.
- Lonely individuals have a 64 percent increased chance of developing clinical dementia.
- People who are lonely report 5 percent more severe symptoms in the common cold than those who are less lonely.
- Those who are extremely socially isolated cost about $130 per month more in Medicare spending than their non- or less-isolated counterparts.
Rather than seeing friends and family succumb to the isolation of loneliness, [email protected] was founded as an antidote to isolation. What started out in 1982 at a Western Massachusetts elderly housing project has developed into the phenomena known as the [email protected] Chorus. Their goal is simple, for people to joyfully pass the time instead of passing before their time.
It is a noble cause that deserves everyone’s respect! So help us give this deserving cause everything they need to make a difference. All you have to do is watch and share InspireMore stories. The more you do that, the more advertisers pay us, and the more we are able to give to this important cause! Get started today; let’s make a difference.