No matter what’s happening in the world, it’s always a beautiful day in the neighborhood.
While many people remember Fred Rogers from his long-running preschool show “Mister Rogers‘ Neighborhood,” Mr. Rogers was a lot more than simply a television host. For many of the children who grew up watching him don his iconic red sweater at the start of every show, Mr. Rogers was a compassionate friend who taught them about love, forgiveness, respect, and the importance of kindness. He passed away in 2003, but his words of wisdom still live on.
In honor of the upcoming film “A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood,” out November 22, we’ve put together a list of 22 of our favorite Mr. Rogers quotes.
3. “Play is often talked about as if it were a relief from serious learning. But for children play is serious learning. Play is really the work of childhood.”
4. “If you could only sense how important you are to the lives of those you meet; how important you can be to the people you may never even dream of. There is something of yourself that you leave at every meeting with another person.”
5. “Knowing that we can be loved exactly as we are gives us all the best opportunity for growing into the healthiest of people.”
14. “We live in a world in which we need to share responsibility. It’s easy to say “It’s not my child, not my community, not my world, not my problem. Then there are those who see the need and respond. I consider those people my heroes.”
15. “Often when you think you’re at the end of something, you’re at the beginning of something else.”
16. “There are three ways to ultimate success: The first way is to be kind. The second way is to be kind. The third way is to be kind.”
17. “Imagine what our real neighborhoods would be like if each of us offered, as a matter of course, just one kind word to another person.”
18. “As human beings, our job in life is to help people realize how rare and valuable each one of us really is, that each of us has something that no one else has- or ever will have- something inside that is unique to all time. It’s our job to encourage each other to discover that uniqueness and to provide ways of developing its expression.”
19. “You can’t really love someone else unless you really love yourself first.”
20. “You rarely have time for everything you want in this life, so you need to make choices. And hopefully, your choices can come from a deep sense of who you are.”
21. “Discovering the truth about ourselves is a lifetime’s work, but it’s worth the effort.”
22. “Anyone who does anything to help a child in his life is a hero.”
Mr. Rogers broke a lot of ground during his show’s 33-year run, tackling big issues like racism, inclusion, and learning to accept (and even love) our differences. We’re so lucky to have had Mr. Rogers as our neighbor for all those years. Thankfully, his wisdom lives on in all who read his words and take them to heart.
Share this story to make someone smile today and don’t forget to see “A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood” on Friday.
Share your story & inspire the world.
If you have an uplifting story we would love to hear about it! Share it with us here.
Want to be happier in just 5 minutes a day? Sign up for the Happiness Subscription and get the #1 daily good news email, expert health & wellness tips, and more! Learn more.